- Medical research has shown that functional status prior to surgery is a predictor of outcomes and recovery post surgery, especially in older patients.
- Good fitness, strength, and health prior to surgery can decrease post-operative complications, recovery time, and could potentially result in shorter hospital stays.
- Common surgeries requiring pre-operative therapy are total hip or knee replacements.
- Most surgeries incur at least some degree of pain, inflammation, mobility limitations, and swelling. We aim to minimize the inflammatory response, while maintaining muscle function and flexibility.
- Recovery time depends on the type of surgery, age of the individual, physical fitness prior to surgery and other multifactorial issues.
- Our physiotherapists can teach you how to perform tasks safely while following critical post-operative guidelines.
- Common surgeries requiring post-operative therapy include: ligament and/or tendon repairs, joint replacement, back or neck surgery, hand or foot surgery.